Saturday, August 28, 2010

Flamin' angel socks

I'm sure I've mentioned before that buying yarn doesn't count if you're on holiday, and it's even more justified if you buy local, support small businesses, and that businesswoman is your sister in law. And anyway who can really resist the lure of Malabrigo? Franklin Habit has amply demonstrated that it can't be done.

more Malabrigo, please

As if Malabrigo didn't already have enough stunning and seductive colours, even more have come out this fall. Of the two I got, Persia and Archangel, the Archangel is especially striking. It really seems glow. Ravelry lists this colorway as being in the purple family, and I guess it is, but I chose a skein with a greater proportion of orange, which shows up here.

glows

Although Malabrigo sock is soft enough to use for scarves and shawls, I use socks more than either. I'm not really in the mood for a deeply thinky, chart-following sort of pattern, so I returned to the tried-and-true Waving Lace from Interweave's Favorite Socks book. I love knitting lace without having to read the chart, so this is perfect.

Waving lace sock

Malabrigo Sock is very soft and springy and to be perfectly honest, I am not sure how well it would hold up thrust ruthlessly into boots and walked on throughout the winter. I admit I still have not worn the Embossed leaves socks I knit last summer for this very reason. But winters are cold in Alberta, and I think I will maybe use these as bed socks - some warmth, plus a little ventilation for my menopausal feet :)

Tech specs:
Yarn: Malabrigo Sock in Archangel
Pattern: Waving Lace from Favorite Socks by Interweave Knits
Needle: 2.25mm Clover bamboo dpn

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Mmmmmm, Malabrigo!

I have not nearly knit enough lately.

Sophie_vf said...

I just finished these socks last night and already I have Malabrigo withdrawal. I'm tempted to wind up the next skein in Persia...on the other hand, I'm itching to try out my handspun sock yarn, too.

Kateryn said...

I was 'stuck' in Calgary recently and just happened to be within walking distance of Pudding Yarn (and of Reid's, but that's another story). I'm not sure how events unfolded, but I came home with some Malabrigo Sock in Rayon Vert. I was on my way back from Spain, so that counts as 'still on vacation', right?