Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Lady Eleanor begins


Lady Eleanor swatch
Originally uploaded by Sophie_vf.
I'm not swatching for gauge, because it's a stole, for heaven's sake. But I did want to see how this colorway would come out (Noro SG 226) and whether I liked the drape of the fabric on size 9's.

Sassenach pointed out in in jmac's LE pic that it's the new Clapotis and I think she's right - I can see why. Like Clapotis, the stitch pattern is easy to learn, and repetitive in a way that is either tedious or addictive. I haven't decided which one this is yet...tediously addictive, maybe :)

I hated turning every 8 stitches, so I've also taken the opportunity to learn to knit backwards, from left to right. That's fun!

I'll make the decision on whether to order more SG at the end of this ball. I like the fabric on size 9s, I just need to decide whether I like this colorway enough to have a full sized stole out of it.

I'm also pecking away at my Rib and Cable socks designed by Nancy Bush, from the IK fall'05. I'm trying to make myself knit the pattern as designed, just to see why the heel is written so strangely. It comes out strangely puffy, and I almost ripped it out. But by the time I picked up the gusset stitches and knit on, it actually seemed to fit nicely. So, zooming on down the foot. These socks will take a while, since they're my "school socks", and I'm pretty much only working on them on breaks at university. It's good to have at least one portable project on the go. I doubt I'll do the toe as written...I like the pictures I've seen with it, but I think the p3tog will make me crazy when wearing them. I'll probably do a spiral toe like the kind she uses for Conwy.
strangely puffy heel

and finally, a pair of armwarmers for my daughter. They're just a simple 10 stitch rib and cable pattern repeat, in fact the same on Nancy Bush uses for the socks above. I just compressed the cable and put a 6 stitch button hole in when they got to the right length. These were in Paton's Classic Merino and size 8 circs. Cushy and soft.
armwarmers

1 comment:

Knittypants said...

Your stole looks really nice, the colors are coming out well.