Friday, August 18, 2006

Diamond Fantasy shawl done!

Finished Diamond Fantasy lounging in the garden

pattern: Sivia Harding's Diamond Fantasy Shawl
yarn: Handmaiden 2-ply Silk Cashmere (or Cashmere Silk, I can't remember)
needles: Boye Needlemaster size 5 and 8
6 1/2 pattern repeats for 300 m fingering weight
knit August 7-18

I had to pay more attention to this pattern than any others I've attempted so far. I don't know if it's inherently the most difficult one I've done, or that I just had trouble reading it. It had a lot of "white space" so to speak, which is part of its light and frothy appeal, but it took a long time for my eyes to see the pattern developing. I used a lifeline every chart repeat, and stitch markers every pattern repeat. I also used a great tip from the Mystery Stole Knitalong - highlighter tape! It's less messy and more durable than the dry erase marker I was using on the page protector. I also noted down the number of purl stitches to expect on the wrong side rows so I could count on my way back. All these tools really helped, and I usually caught my mistakes on the same row or the next.

OCD chart and markers

USUALLY. By the time I bound off, I was feeling pleased about completing an error-free project. Till I blocked it, and discovered this:

an

Quelle horreur! I didn't panic, as it was fairly obvious which stitches belonged where, and miraculously, it didn't unravel any further down. With a couple of DPN's and extra yarn, I pulled it back up and wove the extra yarn in place:

post surgery, broken diamond

I feel recently confident it will stay put, but I might weave in a little bit more length after I unpin it.

Diamond Fantasy Shawl

It's a perfect size for a summer shawl or fall scarf, and the silk cashmere blend is beautiful to wear. It's possibly the most luxurious yarn I've had the chance to knit so far, and Sivia's pattern is a great way to use one delicious skein.

Diamond Fantasy shawl

7 comments:

Opal said...

Congratulations on a wonderful fix and finish!

Uli said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and your DFS is absolutely gorgeous. I love the colour and am so happy for you that the little stitch that ventured on its own didn't become a big problem. Nice work. Nice shopping on the west coast, too. Some of those stores are my favourite LYSs, especially Knitopia.
Uli
http://www.ulisneedleworkworld.motime.com

Redford Phyl said...

Beautiful! I'm half way through the 7th repeat, but I have enough yarn for the full 10 repeats. I'm torn. I'm tempted to stop at 7. It's taking me 15 minutes a row, just on the purl side. I used Zephyr on size 5 needles and it looks like it will block out much larger than it currently is.

Jeanne said...

Beautiful shawl! Love the pattern and color - great job.

Julie said...

Lovely! And good job on that little repair. I need to get back to work on mine -- using Sea Silk. Too many works in progress.

Kat said...

Wow, beautiful!

I just love the color, and you've done a fabulous job of knitting it.

Congratulations!

astridpersons said...

error free? impossible (for me that is) And if someone finds an error, I do as the Turkish weavers: I say I put the error there on purpose, so that everyone can see it is handmade instead of machine-made!
Yes we europians are very practical ;-)