Friday, August 18, 2006
Diamond Fantasy shawl done!
pattern: Sivia Harding's Diamond Fantasy Shawl
yarn: Handmaiden 2-ply Silk Cashmere (or Cashmere Silk, I can't remember)
needles: Boye Needlemaster size 5 and 8
6 1/2 pattern repeats for 300 m fingering weight
knit August 7-18
I had to pay more attention to this pattern than any others I've attempted so far. I don't know if it's inherently the most difficult one I've done, or that I just had trouble reading it. It had a lot of "white space" so to speak, which is part of its light and frothy appeal, but it took a long time for my eyes to see the pattern developing. I used a lifeline every chart repeat, and stitch markers every pattern repeat. I also used a great tip from the Mystery Stole Knitalong - highlighter tape! It's less messy and more durable than the dry erase marker I was using on the page protector. I also noted down the number of purl stitches to expect on the wrong side rows so I could count on my way back. All these tools really helped, and I usually caught my mistakes on the same row or the next.
USUALLY. By the time I bound off, I was feeling pleased about completing an error-free project. Till I blocked it, and discovered this:
Quelle horreur! I didn't panic, as it was fairly obvious which stitches belonged where, and miraculously, it didn't unravel any further down. With a couple of DPN's and extra yarn, I pulled it back up and wove the extra yarn in place:
I feel recently confident it will stay put, but I might weave in a little bit more length after I unpin it.
It's a perfect size for a summer shawl or fall scarf, and the silk cashmere blend is beautiful to wear. It's possibly the most luxurious yarn I've had the chance to knit so far, and Sivia's pattern is a great way to use one delicious skein.